Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Movie Experiment

Last October, my husband won tickets to see ParaNorman. We decided to go to a Wednesday matinee, as he was working nights. It was empty. As in, me, hubby, and the baby were the only three people in the theater. Lucie fell asleep in the first five minutes and slept the entire time, but even if she had screamed the whole movie, it would not have mattered, because there was no one there to bother.

I really wanted to see Iron Man 3. My husband suggested we see it at a 10:30 am matinee on a Saturday, since he is working days now. BIG MISTAKE! Apparently, down south, people are early risers even on the weekends. The theater was packed! I guess that's because at 10:30 in the morning, it only costs $6 to get in. Well, Lucie started to fuss during the preview for "The Hunger Games." I knew then that I wasn't going to get to watch the whole movie. Just about the time Pepper Potts comes in contact with the antagonist, Lucie starts yelling. I should probably let you know I was already standing against the side wall of the theater holding the baby since she had been wiggling all over... I had been there for about 15 minutes. I had left my purse, Lucie's stroller and her shoes at my seat with my husband.

I ducked out of the theater with Lucie in my arms. I called my mother. What to do? Well, I had to go back in the theater to collect my things, of course. I tried as quietly as I could, all the while also trying to keep Lucie quiet, to collect these things without disturbing everyone else. Kind of hard because we were in the first row, but hey, they were all kids once, right? They should understand. I had contemplated waiting for a noisy part to go in, so no one would hear Lucie if she yelled, but then, she yelled most and grabbed her little ears when the noise started, so it must have hurt her little ear drums. I went in during a sound effects lull.

I told Jonathan to watch the movie. One of us should enjoy it at least. I was annoyed, but hey, I had already missed most of the beginning, so if one of us was going to see the movie, it should be him. As we walked out Lucie started saying, "Dada, dada!" She did not understand why we were leaving Daddy in that noisy dark room. I took Lucie out and began to walk around the mall where the movie theater is. I was upset, but Jonathan is usually so giving... it was my turn to give him something. He paid me back later by giving me space to watch HGTV while he played with Lucie and he took her grocery shopping. He also took me out for lunch at a Mexican restaurant. I <3 fajita chicken taco salad!

All in all, I would say the movie experiment failed. Lucie is not ready to go to the movie theater. I guess I will have to wait until Iron Man 3 comes out on Blu Ray, which may mean watching it in our new house. I guess I can wait... so long as nobody spoils the ending for me!

No comments: