Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What are the BEST CLOTH DIAPERS to leave with a babysitter, or child care provider?

This week, our schedule has been turned a bit upside down. Hubby is working nights, but has a few daytime commitments, and I've been asked to substitute teach at the day care. This is the first time we're leaving Lucie with someone who has not touched a diaper in about forty years... My Grandma. Now, when her kids were in diapers, they wore cloth, but cloth consisted of pins and prefolds only at that time. I am not going to try to explain to her how a snappi works with her arthritis. Instead, I am going to try to leave her with the best cloth diapers I find easiest to use.

First, the best cloth diaper MUST have aplix for closure. Leaving snaps with a sitter may mean diapers that are snapped too tightly, or not tight enough. Aplix, in my opinion, provides the best fit, provided your child hasn't already figured out how to open up the aplix.

Second, I recommend leaving a flushable liner, such as GroVia Bioliners. I would set up the diapers in advance with these liners already in place. They allow the solids to be flushed easily, and this way, your sitter will not need to wash your diapers out (and perhaps use something they shouldn't... IE dish soap or hand soap).

Leave a zippered wet bag. Instruct the sitter that disposable wipes do not go in the wetbag, if using disposable wipes. If using cloth wipes, the best cloth wipes I've come across are Thirsties Fab Wipes. I recommend using Washy Wafers in a spray bottle for your solution. Premix the solution for your sitter.

I, personally, don't recommend leaving Flips with a sitter. If the diaper somehow becomes disassembled, the sitter could put the microfiber against your child's skin (my husband once did this) and have no clue as to why this is a problem.

For AI2s, I recommend Gro-Via systems, because their inserts snap into place.
For Pockets, I recommend BumGenius 4.0.
For AIOs, I recommend Bum Genius Freetime.

These three diaper types are being put to the test by my 82 year old grandmother, and I will let you know her feedback in the next few days!

Shop Diaper Junction to save $5 off your first $50 order - Use coupon AFL550 - Some restrictions apply.

No comments: