Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

An Ode to The Boppy Pillow

I first want to say that Boppy, although marketed as a breastfeeding support pillow, has been used by both my husband and myself while bottle feeding baby Lucie since we brought her home from the hospital. She now uses the Boppy for tummy time and for being propped up while watching her favorite program "Dinosaur Train." Being propped up with the Boppy pillow helps curb some of her spit up, by letting gravity take control of her peristalsis (the motion which brings food down from the mouth into the stomach and through the digestive system).

I have some advice for new moms and dads regarding the Boppy. GET EXTRA COVERS, and GET A WATERPROOF COVER! Boppy covers are not cheap, but it is worth it to buy a few extra for when the others are in the laundry. I was able to buy a discontinued print at Target relatively inexpensively, and they do go on sale on occasion at Babies'R'Us.

As far as covers, I recommend the jersey knit, as it is so soft, especially for tummy time, when baby is putting his or her face on the pillow when their neck gets tired. You'll want a soft cover for such occasions.

I also have a fuzzy velour cover, which Lucie LOVES... although, I think that may be the source of all the fuzz I find in between her fingers. It does tend to shed a tiny bit when washed (possibly why this particular design was on clearance at Target last January).

There is a warning label on the Boppy which says "Not for sleeping." I think this is because people were putting their babies to sleep on their bellies in the Boppy, or leaving the Boppy in the baby's crib. I will say this: Lucie sleeps on her Boppy, but only supervised. I am either awake doing computer work right next to her when she sleeps on it, or I am asleep right next to her, and very aware of her well-being. I am a light sleeper when she is cosleeping.

Overall, I love my Boppy Bare Naked pillow, and I love the stylish covers available for it. If I had more disposable income, I would invest in a few more covers, but right now, I have not won the lottery yet, and I'm still working on getting my business to where I want it to be.

Legal Stuff: I received the Boppy Bare Naked Pillow as a Registry Gift at my Baby Shower. I purchased all the covers I own with my own money. I was not paid to write this review, and this review is my honest opinion of the product, and how it is used in my own home.

No comments: