Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lessons I've Learned as a Mommy

Being a Mommy has taught me some very valuable lessons.
1) It's not about me. It never will be again. It's all about this gorgeous little girl, and whatever other children I may be blessed with in the future. It's about teaching her... EVERYTHING! Today, we introduced her to some baby animals. She may still be too young to understand, but I tried to explain to her that the baby sheep was the same as her stuffed animal blanket she loves so much, except that it's alive and can sniff you back.
2) Everyone always has a TON of advice for new mothers. They mean well. Smile and nod. Say "Thank you" and do your own thing! Every baby is different. Therefore, what works for one baby may not work for yours. You can try other moms' suggestions, if they're right for you, but in the end, you must make your own choices and be at peace with them. For example, I am a cloth diaper fanatic! I love cloth diapering, I will educate anyone who wants to know about cloth diapers as to why they are so much better for the environment, but I am trying to not be pushy or put others down for choosing to use disposables. I used disposables for a bit in the beginning myself, but I did not like seeing the gel leaking out on my baby girl, when she'd been wearing the diaper for a very short period of time and soaked it. I also recognize that sometimes cloth isn't the best option, and I have biodegradable inserts for those times, such as the long car trip we are on as I type this. I'm flexible... which leads me to #3.

3) BE FLEXIBLE! Don't think that you have to fit into a cookie cutter mold to be the perfect mom. If something doesn't work for you, try something else, and don't be afraid to do that.
4) Stick to your guns! This may seem the opposite of be flexible, but it's not. In flexiblity, there has to be a certain rigidity, or else it's just fluid. If you don't want that stranger touching your baby's hand, speak up. You ARE the mom, and Mommy DOES know best.

5) Thank your teacher. I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't had such a fantastic mother. So, thanks Mom! You made me the Mom I am today, and without you, I would not be here.
6) Patience is a virtue, of which I used to have very little. In motherhood, I have learned to be patient.  I wasn't happy about being in labor for 2 days at home, induced for 29 hours, having an emergency c-section and then having to wait another 3 hours to be able to hold my daughter... but, none of that takes away my new status and title of "Mommy."

7) Laughter is the best medicine. So, the baby's screaming her head off, you're a hundred miles from home on a vacation, and your husband left your suitcase at home? LOL. Seriously. Do it. And then go shopping for some pretty new clothes.
8) Connect with family in whatever way you can. On our vacation, I made sure to let Jonathan's cousin, Kaitlin, know we'd be near where she lives if she wanted to stop by so Reilly and Reagan could meet Lucie. We took a great photo of all of the kids with Jonathan and Kaitlin holding the littlest ones, which I plan to print out for their Grandma Kathryn. It's so important to me to honor both the older generation, and connect with the children. Remember, children see what we're doing, and will behave similarly when they grow up. If they see us treating our older relatives with respect, they will treat us with respect as we age, and they will teach their children to do the same.
9) Take pictures. It is so important to capture even the silly hilarious moments, because it's true, they do grow up too quickly. It was only 16 weeks ago that I gave birth to Lucie, but it seems to have gone by in the blink of an eye, and she is changing so quickly now! Don't be upset if the picture didn't turn out the way you intended. It's the way that God intended... to capture the true essence of the child.
10) Tell them "I love you." Tell them all day long until you're blue in the face. Really, you can never say it too much, and the smile on my baby girl's face when I say "I love you" to her lets me know that she understands.

No comments: