Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Mud Butt Cloth Diapers Review

I received the diaper I am reviewing as a gift from a family member who is unrelated to Mud Butt Cloth Diapers, and have not received any compensation from Carrie Peterson or her company Mud Butt Cloth Diapers for this review. I just think these diapers are awesome and deserve a shout out!

The diaper I am reviewing is the pocket diaper, however, Mud Butt Cloth Diapers does offer an AI2, which is actually a pocket fusion, since it has a pocket behind the AI2 insert for added absorbency! My next order will be for some AI2s so I can try those out.

One of the attractive features of ordering from Mud Butt is that almost all of the diapers are made to order. Carrie, the WAHM who owns Mud Butt, also features some in stock diapers, which, when available, can ship more quickly.

Through sheer luck, when we ordered the designer denim diaper with overlapping snaps, Carrie already had one ready made, in stock, and ready to ship! I was so excited to hear I would receive my diaper in only a few days time from the order. That excitement only grew when the package arrived, and I tore it open. The diaper is ADORABLE! The pockets on the butt area are actually sewn on so that they could be functional!

My daughter is super tiny. At 10 weeks, she weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz. My brother weighed more than that when he was born! I was expecting to need the overlapping snaps on these diapers, as with other diapers I own with overlapping snaps, we definitely utilize the overlap feature!

We did not need to use the overlap feature, however, the diaper was snapped completely to the middle. Even though I know that we won't need the overlap feature with Lucie, I will still continue to order my Mud Butts with this feature, because if we ever have any other children, we may need this feature. Also, if I had discovered Mud Butt diapers sooner, I may have been able to switch Lucie to the cloth sooner without having to buy newborn sizes.

When I received the package containing my first Mud Butt, Carrie had included a sample packet of Mud Butt's exclusive detergent in their signature scent from A Happy Green Life. The scent is called "Butt Naked," and smells like green apples! I barely had enough cloth diapers for a load, but I couldn't resist pre-washing my Mud Butt and what cloth diaper laundry I did have immediately with this yummy smelling detergent. One sample pack is enough for 1 load in a regular washing machine, or 2 loads in our HE front loader.

When the diapers were done being washed, they retained some of the yummy green apple smell, and that made my day. I wonder if A Happy Green Life makes a rose scented detergent, so I can say my baby's butt smells like roses?

Now, on to the test of the diaper. I tumble dried the insert, but put the outside PUL part of the diaper on a drying rack. The outer shell of the diaper dried very quickly, and I was able to try the diaper out that night on Lucie.

I was hoping that the Mud Butt diapers would be easier to use, so my husband could stop being confused by prefolds. They definitely were easy to use. Just snap them on, and they're good to go!

Lucie wore the diaper for about 5 1/2 hours. When my husband changed her, he left the diaper on the changing table saying, "It's dry, but I'm going to change it, so she has something fresh on."

When I checked the diaper, he was right, the suedecloth lining was dry. However, the inner soaker was heavy and very wet. My husband is a little clueless about how anything besides a prefold soaks up stuff, but he is also clueless about how to fold a prefold, which is why I wanted this diaper which doesn't need prefolds.

I showed Jonathan where the soaker was in the diaper, and how wet it was, but that the lining was wicking away moisture from Lucie's butt. He exclaimed, "It's a MAGIC DIAPER!"

That made me laugh, and it made me very happy that he liked it, because now he'll let me order more!

We already have two orchid diapers, one zebra print, and one tool print on the way!

I also ordered more sample packets of A Happy Green Life detergent so I can try more of their scents. I'm very excited to smell their "Manly Man" scent... which I may use for Jonathan's clothes in the future. One full sized bag is only $10, and is enough for 50 loads in a regular washing machine or 100 loads in an HE machine!

No comments: