Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cloth Diapering Mama!

** WARNING: This post discusses cloth diapering, and as such, the things that diapers are used to absorb/catch. Don't read if you are averse to the subject of baby poop! **


The first full day of cloth diapering, I had to leave for a period of time. During this time, Lucie pooped, and Jonathan panicked a bit. There was poop on the cloth, as the Gro-Via bioliner had shifted, and, well, the poop was a little runny, so some of it went through the bio-liner. He immediately put the cloth liner in the wash... with the wrong detergent (Cheer free)... bypassing the wet bag, washing only the one liner (I thought we were trying to reduce waste?!) I guess I hadn't made it clear that even though I detest laundry, and usually don't even do my own laundry, I would do ALL the cloth laundry.

In an ideal situation, I'd already have a diaper sprayer, but the one I really want has been out of stock for some time... also as my dad is a tool-and-die maker, who used to design luxury shower heads and faucets, I really don't want to buy a cheap piece of plumbing, knowing he could design one infinitely better. I've just been taking a big cup of water and dumping it over the diaper liner while holding it over the toilet.

When laundering cloth diapers, there are a lot of things to remember. Luckily, Thirsties Pre-Wash and Super-Wash bottles have idiot proof instructions on them. It helps if you actually use the right detergent, and if you take the time to read the directions. Just because I know I'd screw it up, I re-read the directions every time... which one uses hot water, and which is cold? I would not remember if it wasn't printed on the bottle, because I have MOM BRAIN!

I have been throwing the wrap shells in the pre-wash, and then hanging them to dry while I leave the liners in for the super wash. I don't want the wrap shells exposed to such high heat, as this will damage the elastic in them. If this starts to not be enough, I'll throw them in with some FUNK ROCK from Rockin' Green.

I have noticed that the Thirsties Duo Pre-Folds only work really well in a Thirsties Duo Wrap, because they are made to fit that exactly. Using them in a Rump-A-Rooz Wrap Cover made a mess. I would recommend using traditional pre-folds in Rump-A-Rooz, and using a Snappi. The Thirsties Duo Pre-Folds aren't really working with the Snappi for me, because they end up so tight on Lucie that she cries. Not sure how to fix that... but they can just be laid in the wrap, and they work well, as long as it's a Thirsties Duo Wrap. The Thirsties Pre-folds are super thick, and this is why I'm not really adept at using them with a Snappi. It's like using 2 pre-folds in one.

I really can't wait until Lucie fits in the Gro-Via AI2s. I'm super excited to see how their snap in liners compare. I also really LOVE their Peacock print, which is set to be released in April.

No comments: