Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Branching Out

Jonathan is starting a new job on Monday, and I'm a ball of emotions: happy, excited, nervous, scared.

I'm happy, because with both of us out of work, money has been tight, and knowing that he has a job provides me with a sense of security.

I'm excited, because this new job is very close to home, so Lucie and I can bring lunch to Jonathan on some days, and visit with him on his lunch break. Not all the time, but it would be nice to at least do this once a month.

I'm nervous, because Jonathan has been out of work since the beginning of December, and I haven't really had to do the mom thing on my own yet. He's been there almost 24/7 to help me out, and he's been getting up for the majority of the late night feedings. Since he's now the primary breadwinner (not that he ever lost that title, because his unemployment was still greater than a big fat $0 that I was bringing in), now I have to get up for those late night feedings. Thank goodness she sleeps for a longer periods of time than she used to.

I'm scared for many of the same reasons I'm nervous.

Going into this marriage and relationship, I always wanted to be equal partners, and now, it's apparent that we're both contributing something to our family, but it's never going to be equal. He brings in more money, while I will be taking care of the baby. I can't not work at all, though, so I need to get back into my Mary Kay business, which I have not been diligently working, as I was so ill with the pregnancy, and the baby has needed special attention.

I have also decided to open my own Etsy store.

My Etsy store, Barbie's Booties, is going to be primarily dedicated to decorating pre-fabricated cloth diapers, baby shoes, onesies and t-shirts. I have an Econobum wrap and a pair of size 5 1/2 toddler shoes I'm working on currently to use as samples. The idea is that I'm going to list diapers, shoes, onesies and t-shirts I have in stock with additional photos of items I've embellished in the past, so that I may customize each item to order. I enjoy decorating things, so it would be awesome to get paid to do what I love.

No comments: