Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

On My Due Date

As I sit here, typing, I am aware that as I begin typing this, it is less than an hour away from February 10th. February 10th, 2012 has a lot of significance. It is the day that Lucasfilms decided to move up the release of 3D Star Wars I to. It is also the day that I was due to deliver my dear daughter, Lucie Elizabeth.

In the last 2 weeks and 6 days, since I gave birth to her early, I have learned so much. First, I feel that, although I was in labor for 5 days, 2 of which were spent trying to artificially induce me, and there was a difficult Cesarean Section at the end, I gave berth to her for 8 1/2 months, but I'm not quite sure that I birthed her. What I went through was more traumatic to my body than a normal spontaneous vaginal delivery (NSVD), but I never pushed or gave that energy to force her out of her hiding spot in my tummy. I never used those muscles to push her out into the world. I feel a bit jipped, and I feel as if I was handed this beautiful little girl, and although I worked plenty hard to have her be born at all, I do feel a sense of loss at not getting to the point of being able to push.

I have learned that, after 2 days and only getting from "barely a pinky fingertip" to "1 to 2" while having Cytotec inserted every four hours, I will not attempt a VBAC when Jonathan and I decide to have more kids. I had always thought that if I had a C-section, I would want a VBAC. I was right, and I do want a VBAC, but I know that my body is not capable of delivering naturally, so why subject myself to the potential of my baby going into distress because it takes so long and I barely dilate, and end up needing a C-section again anyway. I had thought I would be depressed if I had to make that decision, and while it's not a decision I like, it makes the most sense, and it is right for me and my family. Early on in my pregnancy, I may have passed judgement on some people who had multiple C-Sections, because they were unwilling to attempt VBAC. Well, having tried to NSVD in the first place, I know now that I would not attempt a VBAC.

I have learned that I would do ANYTHING for my little girl. I would go to the moon and back if she needed me to. I have also learned that babies are not footballs to be passed around from person to person. I have learned that there are many people who don't realize this, because everyone wants to hold her. I can honestly say that, as her mother, I would never get a chance to hold her, if I let everyone hold her that wanted to. There just aren't enough seconds in the minutes in the hours in the days...

I have learned that I have never felt so loved.

I have learned that the best feeling in the WORLD is having my little girl cuddled up against me with a blanket "kangaroo style."

I have learned that people are idiots, and even if your little girl is wearing an empire waist shirt with blue flowers on it, people will refer to her as a "he" simply because she's wearing blue and the baby has short hair. REALLY?! Blue is not a boy's color. Pink is not a girl's color. I think that all colors are gender neutral. It is society that attaches a gender assignment to color. I think that this is wrong, and I've always thought it was wrong... stemming from my thoughts as a young child, when asked why purple was my favorite color. My reply that purple was not a boy's color and not a girl's color. It was both mixed. I, at the time, recognized that I enjoyed many traditionally boy's toys and activities (teenage mutant ninja turtles, ghost busters, man hunt), but I also enjoyed my tea parties and dolls, which are traditionally girl's toys/activities.

I have learned that two glow worms are better than one. Lucie has a pink one and a blue one. Since they are machine washable if you remove the battery packs, it's great so long as you only give the baby one at a time, and then you have a back up in case there is a need for it.

I have learned that I have good taste in strollers (must be the trend setter in me), because everywhere I take Lucie in the Amethyst Baby Jogger City Select, some mom or mom-to-be is asking me about it.

I've learned to try to sleep when Lucie sleeps... just put everything down and finish or add on to it later... like this post.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: